Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Getting on the Dance Floor Gracefully

Today was supposed to be my outdoor practice day, unfortunately it is about to start snowing here, so I have been forced to alter my plans. Last Friday, I had my second lesson with a new instructor, Brendan at Olney Golf Park. The entirety of the lesson focused on strengthening the chipping component of my game, which happens to be the weakest area of my game. This is where I lose a majority of my strokes on the golf course. In the immediate area around the green, I am a hot mess. It is challenging to work on chipping indoors at my home without having balls roll under the sofa,which is what happened yesterday when I attempted to practice inside. This morning, I am a little bummed out.

Additionally, I had wanted to share the video from my lesson here on my blog but, encountered technical issues. The video is a realtime video in V-Locker and I am a Mac user. I attempted, in vain to screen capture the video with Jing. If you have suggestions about overcoming this technical issue,by all means comment below. I was hoping to edit the video so that you would not have see unnecessary things, like me standing around laughing and my golf pro's backside. The best I can do currently is to link to the entire video, so I apologize if this content is drags.

Chipping Lesson February 3, 2012


These are the specifics I am working on correcting with regard to my chipping:

1)Having grip pointed directly inside of left hip socket

2)Placing more weight on my left side

3)Hinging my wrist better (with abbreviated swings this is a struggle for me)

4)Preventing my right wrist from bowing during set up

5)Insuring that my back swing is equivalent to my follow through

Brendan has explained to me that it takes approximately 7 weeks of practicing something new in order for it to become comfortable within your swing. I am excellent at retaining information and feedback. Balancing all of these swing thoughts and being relaxed when I step out onto the golf course is what I find challenging.

The questions that I pose to you:

How do you avoid getting bogged down in the details?
How do you implement swing changes and still swing freely?
How do you prevent yourself from being mechanical?

"They" say that the first step in resolving a problem is admitting that you have one in the first place. I admit, I am a poor chipper. Now, it's time to improve.

No comments:

Post a Comment