Monday, May 17, 2010

Eternally Connected, In Control and Loving It!

While having lunch with friends a conversation arose about technology and whether it creates social barriers or fosters stronger relationships. One of my friends communicated passionately to the group that she's extremely frustrated with the frenzied pace of life in 2010. Not a day passes by that I don't mumble under my breath, “there aren't enough hours in the day." There simply are too many objectives that I would like to achieve on a given day. If I were actually able to clone myself allowing me to be in several places at once I would contemplate doing it to lighten my to-do list. Although, my friends found a little humor in our mutual friend’s desire to return to the 1950’s, ala "Back to the Future", most of us appreciated the given friend’s point. I appreciate what she was saying but for me technology is allowing me to maintain and strengthen my relationships. Technology allows me to stay ahead the world spinning wildly out of control.

To speak a bit to the point that social networking sites provide an environment for people to masquerade as something they are not or provide a stage on which to act like ass clowns, I disagree. Why on earth are you friending people you have disdain for in real life on Facebook? There’s a good chance these afore described people are pulling the wool over your eyes in real life if you do not have the revelation they are a tool(to use one of my Husband’s choice phrases) until you FB friend them.

Marketing folks refer to someone like me as an “early embracer”, in lay terminology; I am always willing to embrace new products or technology ahead of the rest of the general population. As a serial over committer, type-A personality my life is one big productivity experiment. For me to really enjoy life it is necessary to complete the un-fun mundane activities in an expedient fashion which allows me to then have plenty of time for recreation. (i.e., family activities, soccer, golf, writing etc.)

Yes, I might attempt to make out with my phone when no one is looking. One of my pals recently declared that I was in love with Apps and openly I admit, I am. This device has served to streamline my life and is obviously my portal of communication 70% of the time. If you want to communicate with me, chances are my cell phone is the inanimate object making it all possible. Whether we are interacting via phone call, text message, email, Twitter, Facebook or Blog, it’s all happening because my phone is making it possible. Due to my willingness to embrace technology, I am embracing you more. I am communicating more, not less. Post 9/11 it is imperative for me to be reachable at all times and to be able to reach those that I love at a moment’s notice.Numerous people were found in the rubble of the Haiti Earthquake due to Twitter. Twitter was literally a lifesaver.

There’s so much techo-phobia in the world these days. Technology is getting a bad rap and I do not get it. The internet is an incredible thing and the pros absolutely outweigh the cons for me. Once again, this is an efficiency thing. Thanks to a 24 hour readily accessible news cycle I am forever in the know and I never have to travel to six different stores to find the perfect pair of shoes. It is at this point that I humbly inform you that I hate meandering around the mall.

The calendar in my phone allows me to maintain my schedule and the map feature gives me the concise directions to get to where a given activity is happening. My grocery list is forever with me and clear. I never have to carry paper with my scrawled notes because my notes are now typed organized thoughts. My overall health has improved because of my phone; I record my caloric intake versus calories burned during exercise. The research about Cell Phones causing cancer is inconclusive so please don’t waste our collective time and initiate that debate) These are just a few things I wanted to point out that have made life way easier. One last thing on the phone, it has served to aid me in avoiding speeding tickets because now I know precisely where all of the ticket happy state troopers are hiding. Wish I’d had Trapster last Fall when I got pulled over at 12am coming back from a U2 Concert. And that’s a story for another occasion.

In closing, perhaps if my friend embraced techology a bit more she might buy herself more time and feel significantly more ahead of the game. Going back to the 1950's simply is not an option for a modern gal like myself, who used Dragon Dictation to bring you this blog.

1 comment:

  1. Finally, you are blogging again! I am a believer, especially in that technology fosters relationships that might otherwise have drifted or remained distant. It is difficult to admit we have priorities and although there are many relationships one would like to maintain, time and energy are limited. Technology has enabled me to cultivate relationships even from a distance that would otherwise have fallen through the cracks of daily living.

    The simpler life is purely subjective.

    And you are an appdict.

    ReplyDelete